THE DEERSTALKER’S CLUB PROMOTES AND OPERATES ON THE FOLLOWING GUIDELINES:
1. Conservation and management of Victoria’s wild deer resources as a valuable recreational asset. We would oppose any commercial exploitation of wild deer not directly related to recreation as this would reduce or destroy the aesthetic and recreational values. We provide practical support for wild deer management projects.
2. The adoption of higher ethical standards by all deer hunters.
3. We seek the full recognition of deerstalking as a demanding and character building outdoor pursuit with a legitimate claim for access to deep wilderness areas where wild deer exist. It’s a vital recreation with negligible environmental impact and a very low disturbance of other forest users.
4. We advocate and conduct hunter education programs designed to improve the skills and ethical standards of young hunters.
CODE OF ETHICS
All members of the Deerstalker’s club are required to:
1. Hunt with due restraint and in accordance with the highest ideals of good sportsmanship.
2. Obey the rules of safe gun handling and courteously but firmly insist that other members of their party do the same.
3. Acquire those marksmanship and hunting skills which will ensure clean, humane kills. Avoid crippling game and make every Endeavour to recover wounded game.
4. Respect their hunting companions, the land, the wildlife and through this maintain self-respect.
5. Conduct their hunting without greed or selfishness and take only what game can be used without waste. Recover all usable game meat.
6. Not sell antlers or venison from wild deer. 7. Observe all game laws. 8. Support conservation efforts in the interests of good hunting for future generations. 9. Pass on to younger hunters the attitudes and skills essential to ethical hunting.
10. Avoid unnecessary destruction of plant life in the field or forest and leave things in good order for those who follow.
11. Not spotlight deer or shoot from any mechanically powered vehicle, boat or aircraft. 12. Not course any species of deer with dogs.
13. Use only a calibers which will facilitate clean humane kills on deer under the prevailing hunting conditions and be guided by the following minimum calibers: Sambar/Red Deer .270W with 150gr. bullet. Other species .243 with 100gr. Bullet. The Club does not recommend a rifle smaller than 30’06 for Sambar.
14. Treat the property of others with respect and work to bring about a better understanding between hunters and the people who control land (farmers, public authorities etc.)