Overall Duties and Responsibilities
1. The Supervisor must enforce all directions from the KBA Referee Advisor, KBA, VBRA and VBRA Keilor Branch. This includes KBA Behaviour Policy, VBRA Keilor Branch Discipline
2. Complete any accreditation or online training at directed by the KBA Operations Manager
3. Commence duty 30 minutes prior to the scheduled first game; ensuring that all netball poles are removed from the courts and secured in the allotted positions and, the basketball backboards are in place and secured in their correct positions ready for competition. The supervisor will inspect all equipment (eg basketballs, score boards) and if faulty report to the Keilor Basketball Association.
4. At least 1 of the supervisors must be available for pack-up/setup. This includes setting up the Stadium Scoring Lap-Tops on each score bench, complete with the cable lock and mouse. At the end of the night, these then need to be packed away and put back in the referee’s cabinet, as you found them.
5. Provide direction to Referees in regards to Court management and effective communication between players, coaches and spectators at all times and to ensure that all courts are free of spilt drinks and/or blood. Supervisors are to spend a minimal amount of time in the Referees Room
6. Supervisors are to spend a minimal amount of time in the Referees Room. Supervisors are expected to spend the majority of the time watching referees and providing feedback
7. Where 2 Supervisors are appointed to Keilor Basketball Stadium on a shift, it is expected that there is a supervisor in each part of the stadium (Courts 1-3 and Courts 4-6), unless there is an issue requiring both supervisors.
8. Where 2 Supervisors are appointed and there is only 3 courts running the 2nd Supervisor may leave early but will only be paid for the hours worked
9. Observe the uniforms and appearance of all referees. Referees that are not in uniform should be penalised as per by-laws of the VBRA Keilor Branch
10. Monitor referee performance on all courts and ensure referees perform to their accredited level.
11. Provide encouragement and support referees in any capacity required during the shift.
12. Complete one online feedback form on a referee’s performance per shift.
13. Inspect scoresheets and/or Online System where applicable to ensure their proper completion
14. Liaise and co-operate with KBA Administration in relation to fixtures and walkovers to ensure the efficient running of the competition.
15. Ensure that Referees are up to date with the current Keilor Basketball Association By-Laws and to exercise commonsense when applying By-Laws that may result in a Walkover.
16. Liaise with the Referees Advisor and or his/her Assistants where necessary and to report any misconduct by Referees to VBRA Keilor Branch committee.
17. Liaise with the Referees Advisor and or his/her Assistants where possible to schedule referee coaching and development.
18. Assist the duty manager in ensuring that all exit doors are locked; lights are turned off at the end of the night; that all patrons have vacated the premises at the close of day; and, that all patrons have vacated the premises in the case of an emergency and emergency service have been contacted.
19. Assist the duty manager in the distribution of notices and fixtures when necessary and provide the duty manager with a pay sheet for the Referees (either online or paper based)
20. It is preferred that Supervisors do not Referee. However, if necessary due to an unplanned shortage. The supervisor must not play on the night they supervise
21. Ensure policies of Basketball Victoria including “Codes of Conduct” are enforced.
22. The Supervisor shall, where appropriate, assist Referees in completing Basketball Victoria Player Report forms and Game Feedback forms, and forward the Report form with the Referees’ contact numbers to the KBA Office for processing. The supervisor is responsible for following up any reports on their session. The Supervisor must complete a Basketball Victoria Report form on any person who causes damage to the Stadium premises.
23. The supervisor is required to submit a report via email to the KBA Operations Manager and/or Referee Advisor where issues have occurred. This needs to be done ideally on the night or within 24 hours of any incident.
24. The supervisor is required to provide information to the KBA Junior or Senior Portfolio holder when requested
25. The supervisor will have access to the VBRA Keilor Branch Laptop. The internet on the laptop is to be ONLY used for Basketball purposes.
26. The supervisor will be required to attend meetings (face-to-face or online) if requested by Referee Advisor, Keilor Basketball Association or the VBRA Keilor Branch.
27. Help with grand final presentations of trophies if required
28. Appointment will be made for a calendar year period (1st Jan – 31st December). All positions will be advertised and appointed on a yearly basis. If a position becomes available during the period the term will be until 31st December.
29. KBA in coordination with the KBA Referee Advisor, and VBRA Keilor Branch can terminate the Supervisor position at any time provided sufficient written warning has been given for not fulfilling the required duties in accordance with the above.