Spark Speech Pathology runs regular social skills groups for all ages. The groups run for 45 minutes and the session fees are $90.
Normally, the groups are held at our clinic in Hawthorn Road, Caulfield South. During Stage 4 Covid-19 restrictions, these groups are continuing to run via telehealth.
Groups are facilitated by a team of experienced Speech Pathologists.
All groups incorporate a Social Thinking framework as well as elements of other programs such as Feuerstein Instrumental Enrichment.
We believe in providing fun, social opportunities in which participants can be supported to learn to work and play better with others.
Each group is tailored to fit the individual's needs and the groups abilities are varied depending on the participant's skills.
WHO COULD BENEFIT FROM OUR GROUPS?
Speak too little or too much in social settings
Are excessively shy and passive or are bossy
Find themselves in the role of either the ‘bully’ or the ‘victim’
Struggle to follow rules in games and conversations
Have difficulty making and keeping friends
Find it hard to identify, regulate and express their emotions
Find it difficult to compromise and be flexible when things don't go their way
Struggle working cooperatively in groups
Just don’t ‘get it’ socially
WHAT WILL BE COVERED?
Conversational skills (e.g. initiating conversation, topic maintenance, appropriateness of content)
• Having a growth mindset and giving things a go that are perceived as difficult or challenging
• Using and reading body language (e.g. eye contact, subtle signs from the listener)
• Working co-operatively (e.g. negotiating, problem giving and receiving criticism, being flexible)
• Playing effectively (Sharing, dealing with winning and losing, playing fairly)
• Conflict resolution (e.g. being assertive, dealing with bullying and arguments)
• Perspective taking (e.g. putting yourself in someone else's shoes, imagining what others are thinking or how they are feeling)
Plus more..We ensure to obtain information from participants (or their parents) regarding areas of need and tailor the program around this.
Please complete the following information to register your interest.
Private Health rebates (if you are covered for extras such as group Speech Therapy) may be used. The item number for group therapy is 390. Medicare rebates cannot be used for group sessions. Self-managed or plan managed NDIS clients are also welcome.