Classic Countdown Quiz
1. When did the first episode of Countdown go to air on the ABC?
9th November 1974
8th November 1974
8th November 1975
7th November 1975
2. Before becoming the presenter of Countdown, what job did Ian "Molly" Meldrum have on the show?
3. Which guest hosted the first one hour program of Countdown?
John Paul Young
Jon Bon Jovi
4. Who was the first ever host of Countdown?
Ian "Molly" Meldrum
5. Who wrote the Countdown theme?
6. Which of these artists did not feature in the first colour episode of Countdown, broadcast on March 1st 1975?
7. Skyhook's bassist Greg Macainsh didn't appear on the first episode of Countdown due to illness. Who replaced him?
8. Which star went missing before his interview and performance on the show?
9. Who was allegedly banned from Countdown after kissing their guitarist on stage?
10. Which ABBA song made its debut on Countdown and made the group more successful in Australia than anywhere in the world?
11. What Blondie song went to number 2 on the charts after being player on Countdown?
In The Flesh
In The Sun
Little Girl Lies
Look Good in Blue
12. In 1977, on a trip to Abbey Road, Paul McCartney handed Ian "Molly" Meldrum an unreleased music video that later played to massive public response on Countdown. What was it?
Maybe I'm Amazed
With a Little Luck
Mull of Kintyre
Let 'Em In
13. Which unsigned local Aussie act made their debut on Countdown and walked away with a record contract with EMI?
14. Which band's frontman performed on Countdown with both arms in casts?
15. In 1981 during the Countdown awards, which band changed the words in their performance to criticise Countdown?
Hunters & Collectors
16. One of Countdown's longest interviews was conducted in a limo with which reluctant Rockstar?
17. Which of these was NOT an Ian "Molly" Meldrum catchphrase on Countdown?
"Do yourself a favour"
"A good mate of mine"
"So watch out for that one"
18. During his awkward interview with Prince Charles, where did Ian "Molly" Meldrum allegedly tap the Prince, which sent his minders into a meltdown?
19. When did the last episode of Countdown go to air?
18 July 1987
19 July 1987
18 July 1988
19 July 1986
20. How many times has Elton John either hosted or was interviewed on Countdown?
21. How many times did Ian "Molly" Meldrum kiss Olivia Newton-John during the Xanadu Dance Competition finale?
22. During the 100th Birthday broadcast of Countdown, Ian "Molly" Meldrum became too "tired and emotional" to continue hosting the broadcast, bowing out for the final 8mins. Who closed the show in his place?
Daryl Braithwaite, John Paul Young and Glenn Shorrock
Daryl Braithwaite, John Paul Young and Elton John
Marcia Hines, John Paul Young and Elton John
Marcia Hines, Daryl Braithwaite and John Paul Young
23. How many national dance competitions did Countdown hold?
24. How many times have rock legends AC/DC performed on Countdown?
Should be Empty: