This is an individual assessment. Please complete it without external help or a calculator.
You have 35 minutes to complete this assessment. Once the time has elapsed, your assessment will be submitted.
3. Explain the meaning of the following terms:
5. Read this passage and answer the following 4 questions:
Can we SEE that the earth is a globe?
Yes, we can, when we watch a ship that sails out to sea. If we watch closely, we see the ship begin to disappear. The bottom of the ship disappears first, and then the ship seems to sink lower and lower, until we can only see the top of the ship, and then we see nothing at all.
What is hiding the ship from us?
It is the earth. Stick a pin most of the way into an orange, and slowly turn the orange away from you. You will see the pin disappear, just as a ship does on the earth.
6. What do the following signs above represent?
10. Three concrete blocks cost the same as two bricks.
Four bricks cost the same as one bag of cement.
A concrete block is more expensive than bag of cement.
11. Ruth is taller than Colin but shorter than James. James is shorter than Sarah. List these people below in order of tallest to shortest.
20. Use the following formula to calculate ‘a’ if c= 20, d = 10 and e = 2
a = c – d
21. The graph below covers 500 building employees travelling to construction sites in central Adelaide.
22. Consider the information in the following table and answer the two related questions
23. Here is a passage from the ‘National Construction Code’ for commercial buildings. Read it through and answer the two questions below.
24. Regulations require that roof sheeting be supported by timber purlins that are spaced at intervals of 1200mm. How many purlins will be required to support a 6.0m section of roofing? Remember that one purling will be required at each edge of the section
25. If you were checking that Point A (see diagram)
is set at 900 to the wall of the building, what would
be the length of the remaining side of the triangle?
Thank you for taking the time to complete this Core Skills Assessment. Your results will be kept in your training file and will be treated confidentially.
Press the SUBMIT button to finish the assessment