Completion of this form indicates the interest of a city, town or region to participate in the 'City Partnerships Challenge'.
The 'City Partnerships Challenge' mobilises, engages and builds capacity of local government to implement integrated and transformative urban development investments through cooperative partnerships with private sector and civil society. Projects developed are designed to attract private sustainability finance.
Detailed information about City Partnerships Challenge has been provided in a Prospectus on www.citiesprogramme.org .
The Expression of Interest is due 28 May 2018 at 6.00pm Eastern
Daylight Time (New York City time).
Cities selected will be contacted in June 2018.
This is not a legally binding document. Even if a city’s expression of interest is selected to participate, the city may decide to postpone or not proceed into contractual commitment.
The selection of the cities will be based on:
• population of local or regional government participants (greater than 20,000 population is desirable);
• proportional representation desired: 50% regional/rural municipalities; 50% metropolitan municipalities;
• population growth rate indicative of urbanisation pressures/changes;
• regional aggregation or clusters of applicants;
• quality of personnel initially identified to participate;
• potential for a Sustainable Development Goals and New Urban Agenda theme/focus for projects.
The Core Commitments of the city, town or regional government through participating in City Partnerships Challenge include:
to provide a dedicated Sustainable Development Leader (0.4 equivalent full time staff member - 2 days a week)
undertake a review of urban challenges (generally done through the City Scan diagnostic)
participation in capacity development activities
establishment of a multi-sector taskforce for project development
establishment of a Sustainable Urban Development project
make a financial contribution of USD$20,000 per year for two years (Note: this financial contribution can be reduced depending on supporting contributions from regional, national and international partners to support the city participants)
Note: You are invited to become a signatory to the UN Global Compact but this is not a prerequisite to participating in this United Nations multi-partner initiative.