In our courses you will be meditating more intensively. As you do this there are some common things that happen:
1. You will get more in touch with what's going on for you (your bodily sensations, deeper thoughts and emotions).
2. You may get in touch with things that you have not noticed for a while, or that you may have been avoiding. This can sometimes feel uncomfortable.
Less commonly, If you are in an acute stage of depression, anxiety or trauma or have had psychosis then we recommend that you be consulting, and under the close supervision of a qualified mental health professional.
If this is a time when you are feeling severely affected then this may not be the right time to begin this course of study. We suggest that you seek professional mental health support and advice before doing so.
If after consultation with a mental health professional you have decided to move forward with studying meditation with ACMM, It may be wise to proceed slowly, taking in a bit at a time. You may like to try our 21 day program (available in our website shop) or the Meditation and the Chakras Elective. These are stand alone short courses and that lead into our Certificate courses. Completing these short courses can be a good introduction to the nature of this work and give you a taste of what to expect as well as helping you find out whether this is the right timing for you, without the pressure of assessments and deadlines.
If anything uncomfortable happens that becomes persistent whilst you are meditating or afterwards, ask an experienced meditation teacher such as your coach or a meditation teacher with mental health experience.
In order to manage this course well you will need to be:
- Feeling calm, clear, connected and safe.
- Able to be aware of the present moment with an ability to think clearly, self-soothe and regulate emotions.
- Able to tolerate and cope with a range of emotional and physiological activation e.g. stress, pressure and discomfort.
- Out of active addiction.
We are here to support your wellbeing and an optimal study experience. If you are unsure whether this course is right for you please call Lisa on 03-9807 4889 for an informal chat.